Spread the love


Brentford’s six-match unbeaten run came to a halt at Hull’s KC Stadium on Tuesday evening, with the Bees falling short of levels that have seen a dramatic upturn in form in recent weeks – City won at a canter in truth.

Dean Smith made three changes to the side, with Marco Djuricin coming in for Lasse Vibe, John Swift replacing KK and Josh Clarke given a start in place of Maxime Colin… And although the visitors continued to play their passing game, and tried to attack throughout, there was no cutting edge or penetration in the final third. Djuricin didn’t really get a sniff despite being given the full ninety minutes – the promise that was emerging before his injury at Blackburn Rovers seems to have evaporated with the Austrian not looking like he enjoyed his run out.

Hull, who are guarantee a play-off place, had little to really play for on the night, but the City fans we spoke to before, and after, the game aren’t confident about their team’s chances of making a return to the Premier League this term. On this showing they are right, even though they rested several players themselves, and the red card protests that were held before kick-off, and anti owner chants throughout, point to a pretty dissatisfied set of supporters over all.

What is clear, though, is that Steve Bruce has strength in depth and pace up top, but I’m not sure his side’s two goal half-time advantage was fully deserved. But it could have been worse had it not been for David Button’s penalty save that followed one of the weakest awards (against Jake Bidwell) I’ve seen in years. The Bees’ captain had an eventful night… apart from the penalty, he took arguably the worst free kick of the season (see the Beesotted post-match video for evidence) and hobbled off late on with an injury.

Harlee Dean could do little about his own goal on 31 minutes, the Bees defender finishing off a dangerous cross from Andrew Robertson, and although the penalty save lifted the spirits of the small band of travelling fans briefly, and gave them hope that fortunes may be about to change, Mohamed Diame poached a second just before the break.

Any thoughts of a Cardiff-esque second half come-back were well wide of the mark, the second half was a pretty poor affair with little to really lift the spirits on a cold night on Humberside –  sub Sam Saunders’ free kick whistled just wide, and we had a penalty appeal of our own waved away, but it was a 45 minutes to forget along with the majority of the evening.

The only real highlights were the Hull pubs in the old town before the match and good natter with fellow Bees in The Polar Bear afterwards… still, we have no doubt Saturday’s match with Fulham will be a far more rousing encounter, and let’s hope the lads can finish of their home fixtures this season with a memorable win.

Dave Lane