Select Page


90% of Fans Think Chris Mepham is Worth £10m and Much More

90% of Fans Think Chris Mepham is Worth £10m and Much More
Spread the love

After an article recently published in Football League World stating that they had polled Brentford fans and 70% of them felt that young defender Chris Mepham was not worth his £10m valuation, Beesotted decided to create their own poll. And got a very different result. 

Hot on the back of the recent clickbait debate which has got fans enraged that publications like Football League World, HITC and even local publications – the defunct Get West London and more recently Football London – have been engaging in tactics to try and encourage reader to click on spurious articles with not much substance in order to increase clicks and rack up money from advertising. 

Jim Levack recently wrote an article on how local team news coverage was being lost to media empires who were encouraging their journalists to create sensationalist stories which encouraged readers to click on the site. Nothing wrong with creating a story which a bit of substance. But more often than not, these stories would be vacuous in their content leaving fans wondering why they had clicked on it in the first place. 

So the recent Football League World story is no different. Using a completely unscientific method of measurement, they claim to have “put a poll to Brentford fans with a simple question: Is Chris Mepham worth over £10million?”.

The results of their rather un-scientific poll was “The results were rather surprising with nearly 70% of fans saying their young centre-back is not worth that amount.”


Meanwhile the Beesotted poll – which is still running – currently (as of 4.30pm Tuesday) has 88% of fans saying they felt Mepham was well worth the £10m plus valuation. The remaining 12% are probably a mixture of Fulham fans and QPR fans gutted that they released him saying “They could see no redeeming qualities that could take him to another level” a few years ago.


So 70% say no in Football League World. And 90% say yes on Beesotted. That’s one hell of a swing. A 60% swing from a no to a yes. 


Which set of Brentford fans do you believe more?

We know which ones we do. 

Half time score: Real story 1 Clickbait story 0



The Great Brentford Song Scam

For years Brentford fans have constantly been evolving the songs they employ to support their team. Scientists and historians, such as myself, rarely take an interest in such forms of tribal worship. But, after being approached by Beesotted to take a closer look at...

1942 Leagues Under The Sea – John Chandler RIP

 I was in the Navy during the War serving on H.M.S. Cairo (pictured above) when in 1942, Brentford played Portsmouth at Wembley, in the war-time F.A. Cup Final. I couldn’t attend as I was stationed in the Mediterranean around Gibraltar but my father went to the game...

Play Or Stay Drama At Griffin Park

With the transfer deadline looming and one or two Brentford players having to make decisions about their futures at Griffin Park, we thought it would be interesting to delve into the brand new Big Book of Griffin Park again and contrast how transfer negotiations have...

About The Author

BillytheBee Grant

Following Brentford for 30 years plus now .. write .. blog .. videoblog .. podcast ... photograph .. sleep .. Brentford .. am known to attend the occasional England match too (12 tournaments now) so am hardened to failure ... On the board and national council of the Football Supporters Federation. ... organised husky dog racing for a living back in the day ... as you do .. You don't wanna go up!!

1 Comment

  1. Rob

    If I were on Twitter then I would say, based on a current Market valuation that puts Jack O’Connell on £8m (to Brighton but fell through) ,Tarkowski at £20m + and even Harry Maguire , who, yes, had a very good World Cup but didn’t look the most comfortable of footballers on the ball on la la money, most definitely, and then some. He’s 20, arguably better on the ball than those 3 I just mentioned, is already a first teamer in the Welsh squad and still has room for improvement. I was relieved when Egan left and he didn’t (no disrespect to J E)
    What that click bait article fails to point out is that it doesn’t matter what he’s worth, we don’t want to sell him! That’s why we can demand all the money in the world. Brentford know how good he is and what an asset his is to the current team, and a financial one he’ll be if / when the time does come.
    Once again, well done Bees hierarchy for holding onto him. Let’s hope Bournemouth and Leicester don’t come in for £15m + in Jan, as that will be tempting, or if they do, that we are sitting in the playoff places as then we might give them the middle finger.


Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Beesotted Archive

Bees News Now